~I received a copy of 101 Stovetop Suppers from Gooseberry Patch for review. Opinions and stories are my own.~
101 Stovetop Suppers features 3 types of recipes: Quick & Easy, Slowly Simmered and Serves a Crowd. I have to admit that I chose Amanda’s Chicken & Orzo to feature because it had my name in it. There were too many great recipes to choose from and I figured I could do no wrong with my name!
Amanda’s Chicken & Orzo is one of the Quick & Easy recipes and takes little to no time on the stove. It’s light, nutritious and a perfect match for families looking for less fattening or quick family meals.
- 4 T. olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 t. dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 8-oz. pkg. orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 T. butter, softened
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- Optional: 1 t. fresh dill, snipped
- Garnish: lemon wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with basil, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook, turning once, for 12 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add zucchini to skillet and cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions; drain and stir in butter.
- Whisk together remaining oil, vinegar and dill, if using; drizzle over orzo and toss to mix.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve chicken and zucchini with orzo, garnish with lemon wedges.
- Depending on how thick your chicken breasts are may change the time in which it takes to cook them. Just make sure that the chicken is cooked completely through. The temperature of chicken breasts should be 170’+.
Other recipes included in 101 Stovetop Suppers are:
- Creole Pork Chops & Rice
- Skillet Strawberry Jam
- Pasta a la Drini
- Pulled Chicken & Slaw Sandwiches
- Black Eyed Peas & Potato Skillet
- Chocolate-Hazelnut Skillet Bars
I think it is wonderful that they have a whole section devoted to serving large families and crowds. Fall has always been a big time for family get togethers. The days become shorter and it is just before the weather turns; where we started hibernating for the winter. If you have a family reunion or fall festivities coming up, this is a must have! You can serve up some Pineapple Pudding with Curried Chicken and Mango!
I loved how Amanda’s Chicken & Orzo turned out. Spritzing the lemon over the chicken and orzo gives it a nice kick. I had never had orzo before! It looks like rice, but its pasta and the smooth mix of butter, oil and red wine vinegar make it a treat. If you don’t eat meat, you could simply grill up the zucchini and mix it with the orzo and it would still be delightful!
These meals are hearty and all you need to get started is a skillet! You can find out more information about 101 Stovetop Suppers on Gooseberry Patch and pick up the softcover edition for $14.95!
Connect: Show Gooseberry Patch some love by “Liking” them on Facebook and/or @GooseberryPatch on Twitter.