“The Optimum Wellness Plan and information have been provided by Banfield Pet Hospital®.”
My furbabies are my very first babies. After my husband and I were married for a year we decided that it was time for the next big step as a couple and that meant pets. At first it was some fish, then a cat and finally our big pound poochie, Princess Peach. She is very much a member of the family. As soon as we got her we dived head first into her health care and her well being with puppy kindergarten as we called it.
It is so important that dogs go to well visits with a veterinarian. It seems like a lot of the time I see or hear of people that only go when their dog is sick. Well visits are the time to talk to the doctor about changes with your dog and for them to do routine tests to check the overall health of your dog. It is better to find out about problems before things get serious and hopefully they can be fixed. Another important aspect is to get heartworm protection. All it takes is for a dog to get bit by one infected mosquito to get this horrible disease that can kill them. Our dog has had routine visits her entire 8 years of life but since moving to Orlando last year we had not set up with a new vet yet. Now we take Princess to Banfield Pet Hospital for check ups. Look at my adorable poochiekins!
- Heartworm disease is one of the most serious and potentially fatal parasites affecting dogs and cats. Pets can contract heartworm disease through a single bite from an infected mosquito.
- Treatment of heartworm disease in dogs is difficult and painful for the dog, as well as expensive for the pet owner. Heartworm disease can be deadly to cats and there is no approved heartworm treatment in the U.S. for cats today.
- Check out the heartworm relevance in your state using this interactive map from Banfield Pet Hospital’s State of Pet Health™ 2014 Report.
- Heartworm prevention is easy, safe and affordable. To properly protect pets from heartworm infection, Banfield Pet Hospital recommends annual heartworm testing and year-round preventive medication for both dogs and cats.
Banfield Optimum Wellness Plan®:
- Heartworm testing can be administered during a routine office visit. Office visits are always free through Banfield’s Optimum Wellness Plan®, and many plans include annual heartworm tests.
- Banfield believes in preventive veterinary care as the best way to improve the quality and longevity of a pet’s life by reducing the risk of developing serious, costly and sometimes fatal diseases, such as heartworm disease.
- Banfield’s Optimum Wellness Plans can be customizable based on the needs of the individual pet, and combine physical exams, routinely recommended vaccinations and screenings, unlimited free office visits, service discounts and more into one affordable veterinary care package.
- ProHeart® 6 is an injectable heartworm preventive that can be prescribed to healthy dogs over the age of 6 months, which delivers six months of protection in a single dose—offering both convenience and peace of mind to pet owners.
- ProHeart® 6 can protect dogs from dangerous heartworm disease by preventing immature worms from maturing into adults that cause damage in the pet’s heart.
- Before a pet can start on heartworm preventive, he/she needs to be tested to make sure they are free of adult heartworms —this is done through a quick, simple blood test at your veterinarian’s office.
- Additionally, here is a link to a coupon for $10 off a 6-month injectable heartworm preventive.
The staff explained to me exactly what heartworms were, how dogs and cats can catch them and then thoroughly explained the preventative medication to me. I opted for the ProHeart 6 injectable heartworm prevention for Princess. I like that I don’t have to remember to give my dog a pill every month and she is covered for 6 months from just a shot.
The nurses and doctor were so incredibly nice and made sure to sit down with me and my dog to make sure that if I had any questions at all they were there to help. The nurse and doc actually got down on the floor with my dog for her shots and physical and made her feel as comfortable as she could be. I could tell everyone there really loves their job! Make sure to have your cats and dogs tested annually for heartworms and make sure to give them preventative meds all year long. I definitely understand how important a pets’ health is.
Additionally, Banfield will donate $1 per reader comment (up to 100 comments) to Banfield Charitable Trust once the giveaway has concluded (11:59 PM the day of the giveaway). Banfield Charitable Trust is a donor-supported non-profit whose mission it is to preserve the human animal bond by keeping pets with their families who love them. Each year, BCT helps 100,000 struggling families through seven programs ranging from life-saving emergency care to assistance with pet food or other urgent pet care needs.
Giveaway Winner: Tony L