I know that we haven’t done any fun homeschool crafts in a while but we have been focusing on reading a ton! I really wanted my homeschooler to be reading to me without me helping or at least very little help 🙂 Successful and we came up with a fun game to help us out with learning words. These are some of the words that my little guy was having a few issues with and by playing Checker Board Scramble we no longer have any issues!
The best part about this is that it is written with a chalkboard marker so it wipes right off and you can constantly change the words on the board for your little one.
- Checker Board Game ($2 at the Dollar General)
- White chalkboard marker ($3 on Amazon)
- Scrap Paper
- Some extra pieces to help cover up the letters (we didn’t have enough checkers so I just found some small caps that we use to use for Robbie’s medications)
This is now his favorite game to play and he absolutely loves it! Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- DON’T overlap the words as EACH word on the board is separate from the other. Once its covered he can’t see the letter and he may need to, so keep your words separate!
- When they search for their word all letters will be visible. Always make sure your words are up to down or left to right, you don’t want to get to complicated or fancy on them and you want them to learn and have fun. NO diagonals!
- I also make my son cross out his own words along with saying and spelling out loud his next word as a way to really help him recognize the word. He spells and says each word several times while hunting for it in the scrambled letters.
Have fun with our new HomeSchool Game! Learn and love to Learn!