BRAVE is finally here! You can purchase this gorgeous Ultimate Collectors Edition which includes the 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download! It comes with a ton of special features, two amazing Pixar Short Films and of course the Feature we’ve all been waiting for!
Set in the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland, Disney Pixar’s Brave follows the heroic journey of Merida (voice of Kelly Macdonald), a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). Determined to change her fate, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane), unleashing chaos in the kingdom. When she turns to an eccentric Witch (voice of Julie Walters), she is granted an ill-fated wish and the ensuing peril forces Merida to harness all of her resources including her mischievous triplet brothers to undo a beastly curse and discover the meaning of true bravery.
Merida is what I consider Pixar’s Princess. She is the first leading female in any of Pixar’s films to date! Disney and Pixar did an amazing job with developing such a independent, strong female as the princess that I am simply awed. I really love all of the princesses from Disney I grew up with, but Merida is a force of nature unto herself and I have to say she is by far my favorite and an incredible new icon for the new generation of little dreaming girls.
Although I have two sons, they were as enthralled with the movie as I was. It is very captivating. The colors, the scenery and realistic touches to the animation make it one of the best films that have come out this year. Having it on Blu-ray just made it that much more stunning! I wish I had a 3D Blu-ray Player though!
The Special Features that come with the Ultimate Collectors Edition are:
Blu-Ray Disc 1 Includes:
- “La Luna” Theatrical Short – A charming short that accompanied the film in theaters. It follows a young boy on his first night working the family business alongside his father and grandfather.
- “The Legend of Mor’du” Short – New Bonus Short Film that gives fans the chance to delve deeper into the legend behind Mordu, as told by the eccentric witch who transformed him.
- Brave Old World – Watch as members of the “Brave” production team investigate Scotland, exploring its land, culture, people and dialects. The research they gathered was brought thrillingly to life in the film. Also, fans will hear what actress Emma Thompson (voice of Queen Elinor) thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland.
- Merida & Elinor – Wish the creation of Merida and Elinor, the Pixar filmmakers delved deep into the relationship between mother and daughter. Highlighting contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing, even hairstyle; watch how the filmmakers explored this most important of relationships.
- Bears – Take a look inside the art and design behind the bears in “Brave”. Each of the bears, gentle Mum-Bear and terrifying Mor’du, demanded a different approach to creating their physical appearance and personality.
- Brawl in the Hall – A fascinating and hilarious inside look at the process of creating “Brave’s” fighting Scots, through animation, crowd stimulation and fight choreography – not to mention a room full of grunting men whose vocal chortles added authenticity to the raucous scene.
- Wonder Moss – Fans will explore how Brave’s” technical artists examined the real Scottish countryside and studied the laws of nature, then turned these finding into computer codes that would blanket Merida’s Scotland in lush moss, lichen and bracken.
- Magic – The magic and mystery of Scotland is revealed to fans in this charming feature about legends – from mystical potions to will-o’-the-wisps – seen in “Brave”.
- Clan Pixar – At Pixar, getting into character is a team effort. from making Haggis to Kilt Fridays to celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, fans will see how the “Brave” production crew truly embraced the Scottish themes and customs and how they fueled the Pixar crew throughout the creation of “Brave”.
- Once Upon a Scene – A closer look at the evolution of the storylines throughout the production of the film, including alternative openings to the film and many deleted scenes.
- Extended Scenes – Three separate scenes are highlighted in their extended form. Director Mark Andrews discusses the decision making process that led to the shortened versions of these scenes.
- Director Commentary
Blu-Ray Disc 2 Includes:
- “Fergus & Mor’du” An Alternate Opening – Once upon a time, “Brave” had a different opening scene. Eventually cut from the film, fans can see it in its entirety in this bonus feature narrated by the film’s director Mark Andrews.
- Fallen Warriors Montage – A selection of deleted shots that were cut from the film late in the production are presented to fans in various stages of completion through a video montage narrated by director Mark Andrews.
- Dirty Hairy People – Fans will enjoy this uproarious bonus feature discussing the development of “Brave’s” Scots – including the design of their hair, attire and dirt-crusted physiques.
- It is English – Sort Of – The bonus feature helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film, thanks to the real Scottish actors who play the key characters and contributed their own dialects and sayings.
- Angus – A look at Merida’s most trusted companion, Angus, a mighty Clydesdale.
- The Tapestry – Fans will learn the story behind this embroidered emblem of family unity, which was lovingly crafted by “Brave’s” team of artists.
- Promotional Pieces – The bonus includes promotional clips for “Brave”, including “Feast Yer Eyes”, “Relics”, “Clan Dunbroch”, “Launch” and more!
- Art Gallery – A selection of breathtaking art from the creation of the film, showcasing characters, sets, scenes and stunning landscapes.
- Wee Gaffes – A video montage of stimulation, animation and shot bloopers.
- Renaissance Animation Man – Get a look at Director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland, sword-fighting, music and more!
- Teasers and Sneak Peeks
The Blu-Ray 3D Disc Includes the “La Luna” Short and the DVD Includes: “La Luna” & “The Legend of Mor’du” Shorts as well as the Directors Commentary.
Needless to say it is well worth it to get the Ultimate Collectors Edition!!
More BRAVE fun coming soon!
I received a copy for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions are my own and/or my families and are not influenced by any form of compensation.