~I received a Family Safety Kit from Energizer for the purpose of this post. Opinions and stories are my own.~
We had purchased our home a few years ago and I remember the first time I walked inside and was stunned by the vaulted ceilings, the massive skylight and beautiful marblesque tiled floors. The home, just as all the other homes in our area, were fashioned in mid-century modern California Ranch architecture with overly large windows and open, modern, rooms. Outside of the tiled floors and the garage that was converted into a family room, the house was pretty much the same as it had been since the latter 50s. Only one other family had ever lived here, so although there were newer additions to the original concept, we still had to deal with some very old elements.
One of the things that had us concerned since Day 1, was the boiler. The idea of having heated floors was lovely, but we didn’t know a thing about it. Then there was the problem with the fact that the room it was located in was also the open return for the air conditioning and these two things could create a very dangerous and deadly problem, if gone unnoticed. There was always the chance that the boiler could begin to emit carbon monoxide from the air being sucked up and with a vent going directly into our bedroom… well, let’s just say that isn’t a very good thing.
The heated floors work by water moving through the pipes and then returning to the boiler that heats it, so although we had very recently (like a few weeks ago) changed to central heating, we still have to use the boiler in the winter in order for the pipes not to freeze and burst, cracking our foundation. Thankfully we moved the return for the heater/air-conditioner out of the room, but there is always the chance that the boiler would emit carbon monoxide. It was really important to have an alarm in our home that not only detected fire, but also smoke and carbon monoxide.
Since I had seen a report on TODAY that discussed a study showing how kids can sleep through fire/smoke alarms, I knew it was important to make sure it was a TALKING ALARM. Energizer had sent me a Family Safety Kit when Daylight Savings had begun that included the Kidde The Talking Alarm that detects a combination of Smoke, Fire and Carbon Monoxide; which was exactly what we needed for that room! Thankfully it has never had to scream at us.
Since it has been awhile, it is important to remember to change the batteries on it. The best way to remember to change the batteries on your alarms is to do it on Daylight Savings Time! Change Your Clock Change Your Batteries has been an important program for Energizer since it’s conception. To change a battery could save a life.
Thirty-eight percent of fatal fire injuries occur in homes with no smoke alarms, while 24 percent occur in homes in which at least one smoke alarm is present but fails to operate, frequently due to dead or missing batteries.
I would hate to think what would happen to my family had we forgotten to change the batteries and then something having gone wrong with the boiler.
Another way to make sure your home and family are safe during this time, is to also double check your Fire Safety Plan. Should something happen and your kids are home without you (such as my teen) having a Energizer Weatheready® LED Safety Light flashlight handy is great because it has a checklist of things you should have in safety situations as well as phone numbers to call in an emergency.
This is an amazing flashlight. I have never, ever, seen a flashlight be capable of running on 3 different types of batteries. It can run on AAA, AA or C batteries! This is wonderful because most flashlights only run on one type of battery and if they run out and you don’t have extras of that specific one, you are screwed. With the Energizer Weatheready LED Safety Light, if you have any of those three, you are going to okay.
- Bright white LEDs deliver 17 lumens and 65 hours of run time
- Runs on AA, AAA or C batteries
- Safety preparedness checklist included on flashlight
- Adjustable shock cord lanyard with whistle
- Push button switch
- Packed with 2 AA Energizer® Max® batteries
We have one of these in our home with our emergency kit and one of them in the car. I hope to get one in the truck as well. You never know when you may be in a situation at night when you need a light or could use a whistle for help.
As the weather starts to change and cities all over America are beginning their preparations for safety during the winter, you should also be checking yours for your home. Double check your safety plan, just because it is getting cold out does not mean the possibility of fire minimizes. You may have changed rooms, redecorated or remodeled areas as we have; it is important to keep the safety plan up to date on paper as well as running a test with your children. You can get help with an Escape Plan Grid and Fire Safety Tips on the Energizer Facebook Page.
Up until Daylight Savings Time on November 3rd, you can also enter to win a Family Safety Kit. One winner every day will receive:
- One reusable grocery tote
- Two Kidde Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms
- One Kidde fire extinguisher
- One 4-pack of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries
- One 2-pack of Energizer® MAX® 9 volt batteries
- One 4-pack of Energizer® MAX® AA batteries
- Two Energizer Weatheready® LED Safety Light flashlights
- One Energizer Bunny® Plush Bunny
Be prepared, change your batteries, turn back your clocks and keep a little peace of mind with it.
Energizer is offering one of our readers a Family Safety Kit like mine along with batteries to make sure all your alarms are safe! The winner will receive:
- One 16-pack Energizer® MAX® AA Batteries years
- One 1-pack of Energizer® MAX® 9 volt batteries
- One Energizer® Weatheready® LED Safety Light flashlight – Waterproof flashlight powered by AA, AAA or C cell batteries
Enter the Rafflecopter form below for your chance to win!