You get up in the morning with the shades yanked down, after having collapsed under the covers at some indeterminate time past midnight (which followed hours in front of a computer). Luckily, you’d set the coffee maker on a timer, so a quart of strong joe waits on the kitchen counter. Twelve ounces of that washes down a toasted bagel smeared with extra margarine and jelly, as you’re out the door on the way to a 45-minute car or train commute. It’s just the beginning of a marathon bout of sitting.
This is the most interesting, educational and entertaining fitness book I’ve ever read, let alone completed! Many of them are just drab and seem to ramble on, but I actually learned so many things. It was rather enlightening. Overall, Fitness for Geeks discusses:
- The best times of day to eat and what to eat.
- Why eating carbs before exercising isn’t healthy.
- Why you can get a beer belly, even if you don’t drink beer.
- The best exercise routines to lose weight, and maintain a healthy weight.
- What two things matter most in keeping a healthy lifestyle.
- How to find your way around the gym, especially the weight room.
- The pros and cons of yoga.
- What apps are the best for exercise, and how to use them.
- Chapter 1: Fitness and the Human Codebase: Reboot Your Operating System
- Chapter 2: Fitness Apps and Tools
- Chapter 3: Macronutrients
- Chapter 4: Micronutrients
- Chapter 5: Food Hacks: Finding and Choosing Food
- Chapter 6: Food Timing: When to Eat, When to Fast
- Chapter 7: The Other World: A.K.A. Outside
- Chapter 8: Hello Gym! Navigating the Fitness Facility
- Chapter 9: Randomizing Fitness and the Importance of R&R
- Chapter 10: Code Maintenance: Human Fueling and Supplements
- Chapter 11: Lifestyle Hacks for Fitness
- Learn to live in the modern digital world and still be physically vibrant.
- Examine apps and widgets for self-tracking various fitness issues.
- Zero in on carbs, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals.
- Find and choose food, and learn when to eat and when to fast.
- Reboot your system through movement in the outside world.
- Select from more than a dozen techniques for your gym workout.
- Fuel fitness by focusing on the science of nutrition and supplements.
- Apply lifestyle hacks, such as high-intensity exercise and good stress.
I received a sample for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions are my own and/or my families and are not influenced by any form of compensation.