~I am a Fox Home Entertainment Insider. I received a copy of Free Birds Blu-ray Combo for review. Opinions and stories are my own.~
This Saturday we are having a Free Birds Pizza Party! I’m so excited to share the release of Free Birds (which just came out on February 4th) and some fun coloring pages. You can also hang out with us during the party on Twitter, you can find the information at the bottom of the post!
Free Birds is produced by the Academy Award®-Winning producer of Shrek*, Aron Warner. It’s an animated adventure that follows Reggie the Turkey who finds himself spared as the annual Pardoned Turkey. Unfortunately his life is completely disrupted by Jake, a crazy turkey who forces him along with the insane idea of going back in time to get all the turkey’s off the Thanksgiving menu. The voice cast is amazing. It includes Owen Wilson as Reggie, Woody Harrelson as Jake, Amy Poehler as Jenny and even George Takei as the voice S.T.E.V.E!
I think the idea of the movie is really cute and something that kids can get into. Although I am waiting till Saturday to watch it with my kids, I have read that the animation is superb and the voice acting is spot on! It’s a bonus that the actors are ones that most adults have come to know as all-star comedians coupled with the fun animation that our kids really enjoy. Plus, there are also lots of great bonus features!
Bonus Features (Blu-ray Exclusive) included are:
- Birds Flipping History
- Animating Free Birds: The Main Course
- Winging It: Animators in Action
- Talking Turkey with Composer Dominic Lewis
- Shake a Tail Feather
- Theatrical Trailer
One thing about the movie that I think is pretty hilarious is that the turkey’s are trying to switch themselves out for pizza. I can’t imagine a Thanksgiving with pizza, but I’m sure a lot of kids can! To give you a better idea about Turkey’s, here’s 10 Facts About Turkey’s you may not have known!
- Turkeys need to be trained to eat. In order for turkeys to reach their biggest size, they must be taught to eat small meals throughout the day, instead of their natural routine of consistently gorging themselves on food.
- A turkey’s snood (red thing attached to the beak) serves no functional purpose.
- A turkey’s gobble can be heard from a mile away. Talk about a loud mouth!
- Young turkeys are called “poults.”
- Turkeys were domesticated by Native Americans in pre-Columbian Mexico, more than 500 years ago. They arrived in Spain in 1519 and quickly spread to the rest of Europe.
- Turkeys prefer to sleep in trees. They do this as a way of avoiding predators in the wild.
- Female turkeys (hens) do not gobble. Instead, they communicate through low-chirps and clicking noises.
- Wild turkeys can fly. They are actually quite fast, reaching speeds as fast as 55mph.
- Turkeys can blush. This usually takes place when they are frightened, agitated, excited, or ill. And here we thought they were just bashful!
- A turkey’s stomach has a container called the gizzard. It contains small stones the turkey has swallowed which help aid with breaking down food for digestion, since the birds do not have teeth.
So that you can have some fun with your kids and the Free Birds movie, I wanted to share some coloring pages. We just got ours today and they look really fun! I’ll also be sharing some activity sheets that will work great for parties on the party post coming soon! Of course if you don’t want to wait for me you can find lots of games, activities and printables on the Free Birds website. There’s even an App game for your phone!
For those of you that want to join us on Saturday for the Free Birds Pizza Party, it is at 3pm PST and all you have to do is follow the Hashtag #FreeBirdsPizzaParty! You’ll get to learn more about the movie and share in the fun with everyone that is throwing pizza parties for their families!
Giveaway Winner: Entry #827 Angie H.