~I received a Master Lock sample for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions and stories are my own.~
The summer travel season is here! The problem is almost half of consumers use only the simple precaution of locking their homes’ windows and doors while traveling, Master Lock wants to remind travelers of other important to-dos to ensure a safe and enjoyable getaway. I am one of those paranoid people that lock and secure everything because I am so worried about having stuff stolen especially while on vacation so I make sure to read up on all tips that I can find. I like using Master Lock because they offer so many great product solutions to help keep your valuables safe while you travel.
With nearly 45 percent of consumers in North America using only the simple precaution of locking their homes’ doors and windows while traveling*, Master Lock is reminding summer travelers that no travel plan is complete without proper safety and security precautions. Whether embarking on a quick weekend road trip or an extended vacation, Master Lock is offering tips to help travelers keep safety top of mind at every step of their journey.
As travelers take to trains (preferred by 3.8 percent of North Americans), planes (24.17 percent) and automobiles (68.58 percent) this summer, Master Lock offers these five security tips:
1. Protect the Home Front – A home that looks deserted makes an easy target for thieves. To keep your home looking occupied, set your lights on a timer and stop your newspaper and mail delivery so it doesn’t build up while you are away. For added security, ask a trusted neighbor to check your home periodically and alert the police of any suspicious activity. Grant easy access to authorized visitors by storing your spare key in a portable key safe, like the Master Lock 5422D.
2. Limit Distractions on the Road – A focused driver is essential for any safe road trip, so plan to limit distractions by muting cell phones and packing provisions to keep young passengers fully entertained. Also, making frequent stops to refuel your body and clear your mind can boost energy and make for a safer journey.
3. Prevent Theft from Luggage – In a recent survey, North Americans said they would be most devastated if their cash (25.59 percent) or their camera (19.91 percent) were stolen from their suitcase*. With only 33 percent of North Americans securing their luggage*, travelers should consider using a TSA-accepted luggage lock to help ensure the contents of their bags remain secure. If possible, keep valuables that would be hard to replace in a carry-on bag so they’re always with you.
4. Protect Your Home Away from Home – Always lock up valuables when away from your room. If your hotel doesn’t offer an in-room safe, bring your own portable 5900D SafeSpace to keep passports, jewelry and small electronics safe while you and your family are out and about.
5. Take Advantage of Technology – Advancements in technology continue to make travel both easier and safer. A smart idea for keeping kids safe is to take a cell phone picture of them every morning while on vacation. If something happens or if you get separated, you have a recent picture of him/her that shows the exact outfit they are wearing that day. Also, utilize the free Master Lock Vault app and website to store digital copies of important data such as travel documents, insurance cards, passports and medical information for easy access if paper documents are not readily available or are lost.
*According to a May 2014 Safety and Security Survey of 1,477 North Americans conducted by Master Lock via SurveyMonkey.
This small 5900D SafeSpace is perfect to use with your phone, money, credit cards, jewelry or especially your passport. It is lightweight so it is easy to take with you everywhere. Just uncoil the cable and lock it to a secure object. Of course you set the combination to whatever it is you want. The inside is a shock absorbing foam to help protect your valuables. I will be taking this with me on all vacations so I can lock up stuff I leave in the hotel room.
The Master Lock Company is recognized around the world as the authentic, enduring name in padlocks and security products. Master Lock Company offers a broad range of innovative security and safety solutions for consumer, commercial, and industrial end users. Remember to have fun with your travels this summer and I always worry less when I know that my valuables and my home are locked up tight!