~I received Lice Knowing You samples for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions and stories are my own.~
I can admit that I am an overprotective mom. My friends make fun of me for it but it is all in good fun. I am paranoid about everything and I am extremely cautious. Except when it came to lice. I never even gave it a moments thought. That was until I got the email that my daughter’s school had several cases going around. I flat out panicked!!!! I lucked out and they were not in my daughters class and she did not get it but I have since learned there are preventative measures you can take. Not to scare any of you but there are more than 12 million reported cases of lice in the US every year and it is estimated that 1 in 4 children will get lice sometime in their life! I have long hair and so do both my daughters so it is important for me to be educated about lice!
Lice Knowing You has an entire line of lice prevention, elimination and removal products that are 100% natural, organic, vegan and pesticide free. Their products are not animal tested and they DO NOT contain any carcinogens or neurotoxins that could be harmful to humans or animals. They are designed to keep hair clean, smelling good and lice free! Lice to Know You’s products contain a scientifically developed proprietary formula of essential oils proven to leave hair silky smooth and frizz-free while defending hair from lice and other insects. Just wash, condition, spray or gel and you can feel good knowing that you’ve given lice the brush off! The products smell great in my daughter’s hair and as a bonus they help to prevent lice!
Their camp pack would be perfect to send with kids going off to sleep away camp. With so many heads sharing tight quarters it is just a great preventative measure to take. I remember going to my favorite camp one summer and everyone had their heads checked. I was clean and I thought nothing of it at the time but it is a memory that stands out to me.
Here are Some Lice Prevention Tips From Lice Knowing You:
- Do not share hair accessories: rubber bands, headbands, brushes and combs.
- Do not share hats, coats, hoodies, sweatshirts, scarves, etc.
- Children should not hang coats next to each other, but rather put them in a backpack if cubbies are not available. Do not put coats in piles EVER!
- Head to head contact is the most common way head lice are passed. They recommend using lice prevention products. While not 100% full-proof, they can be effective in keeping lice away because of their high percentage of essential oils which have been proven effective in the battle against head lice. They also create a barrier on the hair which is also a deterrent. Clinical studies have been performed on head lice prevention products which have proven their effectiveness.
- Long hair should be kept in braids or ponytails. Boys should keep their hair short.
- Once a week, take a peek. You should conduct lice checks at home regularly by putting detangler in the hair and combing through with a Knock-Out Terminator lice comb and wiping on paper towel. You will be able to see nits or lice on the paper towel.
- Once-a-week head lice checks. Step-by-Step instructions for how to do a wet head lice check can be found on their products page on this site. Wet lice checks have been proven to be the most effective method of checking with 95% accuracy when done correctly. Please see their Lice Checks page under services to read the most current German study on wet head lice checking
Their products include hair wipes, spritzes, styling gels and of course shampoos and conditioners. Doctor and nurse recommended, and the products can be used daily without any concern of damage to your children’s hair. They have stores in in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Arizona where you can go in for lice checks, get lice removal treatment and of course they have plenty of great products you can purchase. You can also find their products all over the country in various hair salons, grocery stores, beauty supply stores, pharmacies and independent children’s salons.