“Window blinds may have pull cords and inner cords that can form a loop and cause strangulation if children become entangled in the pull cords or the inner cords.” Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)
When my son was 3 I read an article in the newspaper that shook me to my core. It was a story of a child, 2, accidentally hanging himself on the cord from the blinds in his bedroom. I have heard of this happening before and bought the child safety device to cover the cord to prevent this. However, the rest of this article talked of another child who was 3 becoming strangled in the cord BETWEEN the slats of the blinds. I had no idea this was even possible! My child was 3 and I thought I was OK with just the little plastic device covering the pull string.
Immediately that night we went out and bought pull shades. I couldn’t get the image out of my head of the poor mother walking in to find out why her kid was playing so quietly only to discover her child dead with his head tangled in the blinds. I would never forgive myself if I did not do this simple thing to help prevent a tragedy like this. The pull shades were pretty cheap and very easy to install.
I had all but forgotten that article I read a couple years ago until yesterday. A friend of mine has six wonderful children. One of her younger ones, not quite 3 I believe, was in her bedroom for a nap and her husband just happened to check on her and found the pull string wrapped around her neck and her little girl BLUE! They took her to the hospital to be evaluated and thankfully she is going to be just fine. Any longer though and the outcome could have been very different.
|The cord that was around her neck|
Such a simple thing can change your world in an instant. Please if you have children or even if you only watch a child once in a while, please do not have pull string blinds anywhere within their reach. It does not take long for a child to become entangled in the cord. I assure you the price of a new window covering is well worth it.
A few facts I wanted to share-
- Over the past 30 years, there has been more than 339 cases of death by strangulation from the cords of mini-blinds
- Accidental strangling deaths of small children occur on both the pull strings and inner cord loops of mini blinds
- Window blinds purchased before 2001 pose a serious safety threat to child safety.
- Every two weeks, a child dies by strangulation from unsafe blind cords
- Just a few unsupervised minutes near a window with blinds can end a young life
I am in no way an expert but I wanted so share this with you in case you have blinds in your house with young children. A simple thing could save a life.
I did not receive anything for this post. I just wanted to spread a safety message to anyone with young children in their home.