I taught myself everything I know. When I wanted to learn how to type, I figured it out with a pair of headphones and a keyboard. When I wanted to be PR on a website back in 1999, I read up on what skills I needed to do the job. When I wanted to be an Administrator in the early 2000s, I figured that out as well. Now I can type close to 120 wpm and I have skills ranging from Personal/Customer Relations, Grievance Counseling, Administrating to Modeling and running my own business. I just like to pick things up and figure them out like someone who loves puzzles and has to have all the crosswords.
I learned all these things because the internet was growing and the availability of ready knowledge at our fingertips was catching on like wildfire. Of course you had to have the desire to learn certain skills and the nature to apply them, but the rest was just waiting for someone to open the window. I belong to a few groups on Facebook that I keep extra special to my heart because it teaches me a great deal about Blogging and how to put those practices to work on inRandom, but sometimes I get way – way to nervous being in lessons with other people and generally opt out. This is why when I was given the opportunity to review Lynda.com I was really excited! It had everything I could possibly want to learn about Blogging, Photography, Editing, Social Networking; even Coding! I could figure it all out myself, in my own time and that was exactly how I want to do it.
lynda.com is an online subscription library that teaches the latest software tools and skills through high-quality instructional videos that is taught by recognized industry experts. It has over 1,300 online courses, with an unbiased, clear, and comprehensive training in everything from 3D + animation, audio, video, photography, graphic design, web and interactive design, business, and web/mobile/app development. It is also 24 hours 7 days a week, so you can find the time to learn in your own time.
I was hoping I would have a few courses under my belt before writing this post, however, I am still working on a few things before showing you my new knowledge! Until then, I was also given the chance to offer two of our readers the same amazing annual subscription I was given, a $375 value! Just think of all the things you could learn in a year!
So while I am learning:
- Google Analytics Essential Training
- Social Media Marketing with Facebook & Twitter
- Windows Live Movie Maker Essential Training
You can go check out lynda.com and see what you would like to start learning for your own business, blog or self knowledge. There is nothing in the world like finally understanding something, when it rings in clear and you know… you have the knowledge of something without the shadow of a doubt and that brings with it a great pride in your own abilities. For those of you going back to school or have high-school / college age kids, this is an amazing program you don’t want to miss out on!
- Unlimited access – All memberships provide access to every single one of our 1429 courses and 80,000 tutorials.
- New courses added weekly – We add new courses every week to keep your skills up to date with the fast-changing pace of technology.
- Learn on the go – Our mobile site and iPhone and iPad app feature streaming video, plus your course history syncs across devices.
- Save and prioritize courses – The queue feature lets you create and manage a list of courses you want to watch, and bookmarks tag specific videos for reference.
- Watch what you want – Courses are presented in small chunks, so it’s easy to find quick answers to specific questions. You can also watch an entire course from end to end if you choose to.
- Expert teachers – Instructors are respected professionals in their fields, and passionate about sharing their expertise.
- Top-quality videos – Compelling videos use screenshots, narration, live action, smart boards, charts, graphics, and audio.
- Inspiring documentaries – Creative Inspirations series goes behind the scenes with creative professionals and industry veterans to show how extraordinary products, ventures, and careers come to be.
- Searchable transcripts – Read along with closed-captioned transcripts—or search the text to quickly find information within a course.
- Certificates of completion – Earn certificates of completion for each course viewed, and show coworkers, friends, and potential employers what you’ve accomplished.