Until the other day I didn’t realize that spam could actually get onto my phone. Call me naive, but I just never thought of it. I have protection on my laptop, my husband’s and my teens PC, but I never thought to have to protect our phones. Madware is aggressive mobile adware that uses techniques to place advertising in your Android device’s photo albums, calender entries and push messages to your notification bar. It can even go so far as to replace your Ringtone with an Ad! I was surprised myself!
Norton recently analyzed over 1.5 million apps and saw a 210% increase in the number of apps using Madware. Some of the Apps that include Madware are the most popular:
- Brightest Flashlight Free is an ultra-bright app that allows you to use your phone as a flashlight. However, the app pushes alerts for things like dating sites to your notification bar – which can be annoying and potentially embarrassing.
- Zedge offers free ringtones, themes and wallpaper. Similar to Brightest Flashlight Free, it pushes alerts to your notification bar.
- Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space from Rovio are two of the top ten madware offenders.
I know my son loves to download Apps. He just got his new phone on his birthday this past October and after reading up on Madware I realized I needed to get the Norton Spot on his phone ASAP. He’s already ruined two PCs from downloads with hidden spam, the last thing I needed was a brand new top of the line Android phone to get stuck with ad apps.
Norton Spot is FREE, by the way. It is also very easy to download. Just go to your Play Store (or the Play Shop Online) and download / install the App.
Here are a few tips to help you when making decisions on downloading Apps onto your Android.
- When installing new mobile apps, it’s important to always read the “fine-print” to make sure you know exactly what app will have access to on your smartphone to make an informed decision about downloading it.
- Norton created MobileSecurity.com as a brand-agnostic website designed to be a resource for consumers to learn about the latest trends and resources in mobile security.
If you have an Android Smartphone and the ability to protect yourself and your tween/teen’s cellphones, you should. Norton has always offered top rated internet security products and I am extremely happy to know that they are choosing to move into Smartphones.
You can learn more about Norton Spot in the Play Store! Norton also has Apps for the iPhone, but Madware affects ONLY Android phones.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Norton. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.