On August 21st, Disney released Pocahontas and Pocahontas II on Blu-ray Combo Pack. I was happy to review these two movies because I have actually never seen either. I am a big Disney Movie fan but Pocahontas came out in 1995 and I was at the age that I wasn’t too into Disney movies at the time. In fact I never even knew they made a Pocahontas II. I did babysit my cousins a lot though and Pocahontas was on a lot but I never actually sat and watched it. I do remember the songs though!
Did you know that Pocahontas was the first Disney animated feature based on a real life character? I didn’t. It is based on the folklore and legend that surround the Native American woman Pocahontas, and features a fictionalized account of her encounter with Englishman John Smith and the settlers that arrived from the Virginia Company.
I really like this movie because it is different then your typical Disney film. When I think of Disney movies I think of princesses and castles or talking animals. This one is so much different but still has great art work and amazing songs! Neither of my kids had ever heard of Pocahontas before but they really enjoyed both the movies.
3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (1 Disc Blu-ray + 2 Disc DVD)Includes the movies, plus:
- Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story of Hiawatha – During the 1940’s, Walt Disney and his team were developing a full-length animated feature called “Hiawatha.” During the early stages of development for “Pocahontas,” the directors found the “Hiawatha” storyboards and were amazed at what they saw. It directly influenced their development of “Pocahontas.” Now, for the first time ever, the full story of Walt Disney’s “Hiawatha” will be presented by “Pocahontas” co-director Eric Goldberg and animation historian Charles Solomon.
- Deleted Song: “If I Never Knew You” – Pocahontas co-director Eric Goldberg introduces this fully animated deleted song, now in hi def. Optional audio commentary with co-directors Eric Goldberg & Mike Gabriel and producer James Pentecost.
- The Music of Pocahontas
- “Little Hiawatha” Cartoon Short
- Deleted Scenes
- “Pocahontas” Audio Commentary – with co-directors Eric Goldberg, Mike Gabriel and producer James Pentecost
- Virtual Vault– a collection of past bonus features, offered via online streaming
Pocahontas II was inspired by true events that took place several years after her encounter with John Smith and the founders of Jamestown. This film shows her romance with the Englishman she married in real life, John Rolfe. Most sequels don’t usually live up to the first movie, this was the same, however we all still enjoyed the second. It’s just hard to top the first Pocahontas movie.
If you’re a Disney movie lover like me or just looking for a new movie to watch with your little ones you can’t really go wrong with Pocahontas. Grab yours now!