~I received coupons to review Quixotic Tilapia Fillets. Opinions and stories are my own.~
A few months ago Quixotic Tilapia Fillets became available at our local Dierbergs! Quixotic Farming is a family owned company that raises chemical and hormone free Tilapia in Missouri and Colorado and understands the importance of knowing what is in your food from farm to plate. In fact, any consumer can have the knowledge of each individual step in the process as it is fully documented and easily accessible to the public. With all the horrors I’ve been reading about the seafood industry, it is definitely a nice change.
I know some of you may be thinking of the negative attributes of the farmed fishing industry and you are right. There are multiple negatives with many, many companies – but not Quixotic Farming. Here are 4 reasons why they are the exception:
- Their fish are not pumped full of hormones and are the size nature intended. This may make them smaller than other markets, but it is because that is the real size of the Tilapia! There is a video available on their homepage which explains the filtration, water quality and living environment for the fish!
- The Tilapia are DRUG free. This means if any of them get sick they are moved so as not to make others sick. Similar to how one would remove a fish from an aquarium that is sick and put it in a hospital tank instead of dumping chemicals on the healthy fish.
- The Tilapia eat a certified organic diet, no GMOs and no animal byproducts. They are probably eating better than most of us!
- Once upon a time wild fish were the absolute preferred choice fish. However, with overfishing, contaminated water (with chemicals, plastic, radioactive wastes and mercury concerns etc.) this is a better alternative to ensure that the fish have absolutely no harmful chemicals.
Tilapia is a fish that takes on the flavor of its environment, which is why it generally has a very strong ‘fishy’ taste for a white fish. As Quixotic’s fish do not live in muddy ponds, but rather thrive in a clean environment – it mellows out the taste so that it blends well with spices. You can actually get the Tilapia Fillets in:
- Tequila Lime
- Parmesan & Garlic Encrusted
You can have a ready-to-make entree or cook it up with your favorite spices! For those of you (like me) that are always a tiny bit unsure about cooking fish, they have step by step directions available on the package as well as online!
The Tilapia literally took minutes to bake and made a wonderful meal. I do have to say that the Tequila Lime is a bit strong and although would be great for those that are into heavy seasonings, it is a bit much if you want a lighter meal. You can always pair it with white rice which will make it a bit milder though if you like the flavor!
The Parmesan & Garlic Encrusted Tilapia is a lighter meal, so I had mixed it up with seasoned Couscous. Although some white fishes taste like absolutely nothing but whatever you have baked with it, Tilapia still has the lingering taste of meat which works well with the crusted Parmesan and garlic.
Each package comes in a set of 2 making it a great choice for a quick pick up for date night (or Valentine’s)! Quixotic’s Tilapia’s are already available at Whole Foods and have now made it into our local Dierbergs! You can find them in the frozen fish section!
If you would like to learn more about Quixotic Farming, their practices or how they’ve partnered with Fish Wise (a company dedicated to protecting the ocean’s ecosystems) you can visit their website, “Like” their Facebook Page and/or @QFarming on Twitter.