I am ecstatic about it being Spring! The warm weather has finally arrived, the birds are chirping and the sunshine is plentiful. The Midwest always brightens up at this time of year and it is something glorious to witness, like the unfolding of a flower. Though there is one thing I have learned from living here off and on my whole life, that flower comes with thorns. Those little prickly things are called “Storms” and the Midwest is quite fond of them.
Since we’ve been through multiple storms and power outages, my family has put together a little Family Safety Kit for the times when the storms are severe. I was reminded of it when Energizer sent me a Taupe Flameless Wax Candle to review (I already have the Dark Brown one!). I decided to share with you some tips on making a Family Safety Kit of your own! Whether you live in the Midwest or not, they come in handy.
We use flameless candles in our kit because they are safer for children. I once had some regular candles out on the table during a very bad storm when my son was an itty bitty little guy and he almost knocked them over and burned himself. The flameless candles put off just as much light and they are much safer if you have little children. The Energizer Flameless Wax Candles flicker and dance just as flames would, so you aren’t losing any ambiance for safety reasons. They also have timers to automatically shut them off at certain times to conserve battery power as well as reminders to turn on during the evening by themselves! They have multiple scents (mine is honey vanilla!), can come with glass containers or very beautiful Asian lantern styles. You can purchase any of them on Amazon.
Here are 10 things we have in our Storm Family Safety Kit!
- Energizer Flameless Candles – To light the rooms, especially the bathroom! Who wants to try to go to the bathroom with a flashlight?
- Battery Powered Weather Station Radio – Very important in heavy storms that can bring tornadoes. The news doesn’t work without electricity.
- Flashlights – To get around the house and/or outside if necessary.
- First-Aid Kit – Children don’t time their accidents with the electricity grid.
- Bottled Water – During severe storms that last days and/or drought cities may limit water use.
- Snacks & Provisions – If you don’t have a gas stove (me) it is nice to have food that can be eaten without needing a stove and/or microwave.
- Cordless Cellphone Chargers – I have been through too many storms while my phone was almost dead and had no way to charge it. These are important!
- Blankets and Battery Powered Fans – Sometimes it can be really cold at night and other times it can be so hot you can’t breath. It is important to have ways to cool down and/or warm up in emergencies.
- Books & Board Games – These are wonderful time passers for families and really offer comfort and bonding.
- Energizer Batteries – The most important thing of all. Flameless Candles, Battery Powered Fans, Flashlights and Radios will not work without batteries.
You can also add things that are personal to your family. I always keep a few little trucks for my son so I don’t have to go searching for them in a dark living-room with a flashlight. I also have a preparation list of things we need to do in case there is a tornado since we don’t have a basement and our house is mostly windows. It is equally important to prepare your family in case of an emergency and understanding of where the Family Safety Kit is, not just to have one lying around hiding under the cabinet.
To get you started on your Family Safety Kit or just to have for beautiful ambiance in your home, Energizer is giving one of their beautiful 3×4 Taupe Pillars with Vanilla Honey Scent to one of our readers (batteries included). You can send your many thanks to Energizer by following on the Facebook Page and/or @Energizer on Twitter.
I received a candle for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions are my own and are not influenced by any form of compensation.