~I’m a Fox Home Insider and received a copy of Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb for review. Opinions and stories are my own.~
I’m excited to share with you the end of the great children’s trilogy, Night at the Museum! It’s been a long time since the first film came out in 2006 and beat box office records. It was Teen’s favorite movie series when he was young and now there’s a whole new generation of fans for the 3rd installment, Secret of the Tomb. But let’s begin with a quick run down of the previous movies for those of you that may not have seen them!
The first film, Night at the Museum, shared the story of Larry Daley and how he came to be the night security guardsman at the American Museum of Natural History. After multiple failed business ventures, Larry is unemployed and seen by his ex-wife as a bad influence on his son Nicky. He soon applies for night security at the museum and is hired by an elderly security officer despite his poor resume and left there the same night. The elderly guards warn him to keep the lights on and not to let anything in or out, which perplexes him until night falls. After the sun sets the museum exhibits come to life and Larry finds himself in a precarious position of protecting the museum from itself and those that wish to steal the talisman that makes it special.
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian begins 2 years after the original story when Larry is a wealthy and successful CEO of his own company Daley Devices. As he hadn’t seen his friends at the museum in a long time, Larry goes to visit only to find that most of the exhibits are being moved to the Smithsonian due to renovations and the lack of attendance. Dexter (the Capuchin monkey) winds up stealing the tablet that brings them to life when the exhibits are moved and a battle between Akhmenrah’s evil older brother, Pharaoh Kahmunrah, who wants the tablet to open the Underworld begins.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb takes everyone on another adventure amazing adventure! When the exhibits begin to act strangely, Larry finds that the tablet is starting to corrode. In order to figure out why the magic is dying, he must travel to London to the British Museum where Ahkmenrah’s parents (Merenkahre and Shepseheret) reside. Larry is followed by his friends Laaa, Teddy, Sacagawea, Attila, Dexter, Jed, and Octavius who all find themselves on the greatest adventure to save themselves and the museum.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb stars many old favorite characters as well as new faces! Here’s a list of some of the main actors/characters for the 3rd installment.
- Ben Stiller as Larry Daley the security guard for the American Museum of Natural History and Laaa (a Neanderthal to resembles Larry).
- Crystal the Monkey as Dexter, the Capuchin monkey.
- Robin Williams as Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States.
- Owen Wilson as Jedediah (tiny cowboy).
- Steve Coogan as Octavius (tiny Roman soldier).
- Ricky Gervais as Dr. McPhee, the curator of the Museum of Natural History.
- Dan Stevens as Sir Lancelot, knight at King Arthur’s round table.
- Rebel Wilson as Tilly, the British Museum’s security guard.
- Skyler Gisondo as Nicky Daley, the son of Larry Daley.
- Rami Malek as Ahkmenrah, the pharaoh from American Museum of Natural History.
- Patrick Gallagher as Attila the Hun.
- Mizuo Peck as Sacagawea.
- Ben Kingsley as Merenkahre, Ahkmenrah’s father who is the pharaoh at the British Museum.
- Dick Van Dyke as Cecil “C.J.” Fredericks, the old retired security guard.
- Mickey Rooney as Gus, another old retired security guard.
- Bill Cobs, the third retired security guard.
The Blu-ray Combo comes with a ton of special features for the whole family! These include:
- Deleted/Extended Scenes
- Improv, Absurdity and Cracking Up – The comedy of Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
- The Theory of Relativity
- Becoming Laaa
- A Day in the Afterlife
- The Home of History: Behind the Scenes of The British Museum
- Fight at the Museum
- Creating the Visual Effects
- Audio Commentary by Director Shawn Levy
We’ve been having a lot of Night at the Museum fun around the house since Dexter arrived for Spring Vacation! He’s been hanging out in Tot’s room with all the cars and trucks. You can follow along on his adventures with us and many other families by visiting #TrackDexter. Maybe he’ll wind up over there!
The wonderful thing about these films is that they bring history to life for kids and increase attendance at history museums around the world. Even as Larry began to research history in the beginning to better learn about his new found friends, so has their amazing world brought historical education to the forefront for families. Below you will find links to some more great printables and coloring sheets for the family! They’re a great way to learn while having fun!
- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb Bookmarks
- Dexter Coloring Page
- The British Museum Crossword Puzzle
- Lancelot and the Tablet Crossword Puzzle
- Historical Quiz
- Tic Tac Tomb
- Character Word Search
- Night at the Museum Word Search