~I am a Fox Home Entertainment Insider. I received a copy of The Book Thief for review (or will be). Opinions and stories are my own.~
One of the movies I’ve been waiting to watch is The Book Thief. Based on a novel of the same name by Markus Zusak, it is the story about an orphan girl (Liesel) and the relationship with her foster parents and a Jewish man who hides in their home during WWII. It’s such a beautiful and sad story, much like other German/American war stories of the period. One of the most beautiful things about this film, however, is that the main character has a unique ability to change the hearts around her.
- Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush plays Hans Hubermann, Liesel’s foster father.
- Sophie Nélisse (Nominated for the Young Artists Award in 2012) plays Liesel Meminger.
- One of my favorite actresses, Emily Watson plays Rosa Hubermann, Liesel’s foster mother.
- Ben Schnetzer plays the Jewish refugee, Max Vandenburg.
- Nico Liersch is Rudy Steiner, Liesel’s best friend.
I honestly think I am going to get teary watching this film. It is not only one of my favorite movie genre’s, but it seems to have a bit of a more heartbreaking “My Girl” feel between Liesel and Rudy. The Blu-ray Combo releases on March 11th, but the Digital HD has already been released; so you don’t have to wait!
Bonus Features on The Book Thief Blu-ray Combo include:
- Deleted Scenes
- A Hidden Truth: Bringing The Book Thief To Life
- Theatrical Trailer
- DVD Special Features
The content of the movie is also very educational for tweens/teens. A wonderful idea would be to have a Discussion Guide (like the one below) and use it to help answer questions they might have and gain insight into their opinions of the film and time period.
Giveaway Winner: Entry #413 Obehi O.