“Tortle is a simple, safe & comfortable infant beanie that has been FDA-cleared to aid in the repositioning of your baby’s head. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all newborns heads be repositioned regularly to help prevent flat head syndrome. By alternating Tortle’s positioning roll from left to right (behind baby’s ears) with each feeding, parents alleviate the flat spots and neck tightness that newborns often develop.”
This is one of these inventions that you are so thankful and grateful to have out there on the market! I wish that they would have had these in the NICU for my 6-year-old when he was in there for 7 months. To this day he has pretty noticeable dents on the back of his head. They did offer to get a helmet for him after me and my husband brought it to their attention but seeing how it wasn’t affecting him developmentally. Plus he was already going to be going home with 24 hours of being on a ventilator, we opted not to make him wear a helmet for 23 hours a day and for a full 12 months.
If I had the choice of preventing it in a very simply, easy and non invasive way, YES hands down I would have had this on him in a heart beat.
“Dr. Jane: Tortle inventor, Pediatrician, Mother of 4 created the Tortle to help prevent plagiocephaly and torticollis in every newborn!”
“It is recommended that all newborns wear a Tortle for the first few months of life to aid in repositioning; which supports healthy development. Tortle works by gently deflecting your baby’s head when she’s sitting or lying on the back of her head, to gently move her head from side to side.”
How Do I Use Tortle:
- Put the beanie on your baby when she is lying awake (such as on the floor or in a bouncer or swing), sleeping with your supervision, or traveling in a car seat or stroller.
- Align the support roll behind one ear, then at feeding time, switch sides so she doesn’t begin to favor a position. Tortle is not intended for overnight use.
- If your baby has developed some flattening or plagiocephaly, use the Tortle to position the head preferentially to the other side. Once the flattening has improved, then return to alternating it side to side.
- The patented support roll aids in repositioning: it’s firm enough so she won’t roll over, and soft enough to encourage natural, comfortable movement.
Is It Safe?
Tortle is an FDA-cleared Class I medical device to help prevent flat head syndrome. It’s a natural way to encourage healthy head and neck motion, without any of the suffocation risks of repositioning pillows or wedges.
Tortle is made from 95% cotton, 5% spandex. The support roll is made from a non-toxic foam. Tortle can be machine washed and tumbled dry.
- Small (0-2 months/5-10 lbs./13-15″ head circumference)
- Medium (2-4 months/10-15 lbs./15-16″ head circumference)
- Large (4-6 months/15-20 lbs./16.5-18″ head circumference)
For those precious little girls you can also dress you her Tortle with an adorable headband. The Tortle also comes in te color white so that you can match it with any clothing, boy or girl.
I had always wondered about this when I was a young mother. At 19 I had my first-born and I would sit with him and rub his cute little head, I never panicked but I did notice some flat spots. They did go away after I spoke to my sons pediatrician about them and repositioning was key but you know kids, they find that sweet spot and lay in the same positions non stop. Also making this that wonderful go to product that every mother should have! This roll helps prevent, allowing your child’s head to move from side to side and giving that flat spot a break and a chance to reshape and improve.
They do recommend for your child to wear from birth to 6 months of age. Making this a wonderful baby shower gift for that expecting mother. Helping her understand flat head syndrome and ways in preventing it. It is always good to educate yourself or new mothers when it comes to their children.
Purchase: You can purchase your very own Tortle for just $19.99
Connect: You can connect with Tortle on Facebook and Twitter @TortlebyDrJane
I received a product for the purpose of reviewing. Opinions are my own and are not influenced by any form of compensation.