~This is not a sponsored post. I am just a serious Game of Thrones obsessive fanatic. Now I have a map to pursue my dream of stalking George R.R. Martin.~
Have you ever wanted to
stalk George R.R. Martin travel through Westernos without the risk of being beheaded? Now is your chance! Last year GoEuro released a map of filming locations for HBO’s Game of Thrones Season 4 and although some of the locations are the same for Season 5, it has been updated.
A great majority of the filming is done in Malta (Kings Landing), Croatia (Kings Landing & Meereen) and Iceland (Beyond the Wall), but this season we’ll be seeing a lot of Spain (Dorne) and Morocco (Yunkai & Astapor)! All of the locations are bookable via GoEuro’s search engine as well. You can check out information about many of the locations from last year’s article as well as links to most of the sites, however, here is a run down!
- Downpatrick, Country Down & Castle Ward – Winterfell and House Stark.
- Audley’s Castle and Woods – Family’s war encampment (Season 1).
- Magheramorne Quarry – Castle Black.
- Redhall Estate – Inn where Tyrion Lannister was captured by Catelyn Tully.
- Ballymoney’s Dark Hedges – Kingsroad.
- Sandy Brae Path at Newry & Mourne – entrance to Dothraki Holy Ground.
- Caves of Cushendun – Melisandre’s birth of the shadow baby.
- Mdina (Mdina Bridge, Pjazza Mesquita, and Verdala Palace) – Central city of Westernos.
- Dominican St Dominic Monastery – Gardens of the Red Keep.
- Fort Manoel – Eddard Starks beheading.
- Matla (San Anton Palace) – The Iron Throne.
- Gozo Island (Azure Window) – Daenerys Targaryens’ and Khal Drogos’ wedding.
- Dubrovnik – Kings Landing and Battle of Blackwater.
- Fort Lovrijenac – The Red Keep.
- Minceta Tower – House of the Undying.
- Lokrum – Qarth
- Trsteno Arboretum – Kings Landing Waterside Garden
- Höfðabrekkuheiði, Myrdalsjokull glacier, Vatnajökull glacier, Lake Myvatn and Skaftafell National Park – Beyond the Wall.
- Aït Benhaddou – Yunkai
- Essaouira, Western Morocco – Astapor (Plaza of Pride and the Palace of The Good Masters)
I can’t wait to see what locations will be used to portray the incredible landscape of Dorne! Here’s a little information about one of the most unique places in the Seven Kingdoms.
Dorne is ruled by Castle Sunspear and House Martell that is located by the Summer Sea. One of the wonders that I look forward to seeing in Season 5 is the Spear Tower, a 150ft structure of pure steel and the majestic Water Gardens, a palace in Dorne that is the private home of House Martell. This is located on the beach next to the Summer Sea with marble paved gardens to fountains and water pools where Blood Orange trees droop over the water. It sounds so beautiful and lush; I can’t wait to see it in Season 5!
Most of Dorne is inhospitable dessert, but there are the Red Mountains with the Boneway and the Prince’s Pass roadways through and the Stepping Stones, what is left of the legendary “Arm of Dorne” land bridge. This connected Dorne to Essos and works as a border between the Narrow Sea and the Summer Sea. Two of these are Bloodstone and Grey Gallows, with the Free City of Tyrosh being a part and not a part of them.
Personally, if I was to go anywhere it would be to the Water Gardens.
Thanks to GoEuro for providing a wonderful Infographic so that we can all dream of where to vacation next! There is nothing in the world I would love more than to travel to the land I have been so in love with for over a decade.
Where would you go in the land of Game of Thrones?